How To Travel With Your Emotional Support Pet In The US?

So you’re planning to take your pet dog with you as you visit the United States. Aside from preparing for your ESTA VISA application, it’s also high time to make your pet for his trip. The rules for bringing pets into the country are under US Regulations, and this includes puppies, emotional support dogs, and service dogs. 

Rules Apply To All Dogs

The regulations on traveling with your emotional support pet also apply to people who are just visiting the country with their dogs. This also applies to those importing dogs into the US and those traveling out of the US and returning with their pets after a short visit. Take note that if you do not follow the rules of the CDC, then your dog may not be allowed entry to the US. 

Comply With CDC Regulations And Other Government Departments

Aside from CDC regulations, you should also follow the rules designated by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) as well as the rules of the state where you are headed to. Usually, state-wide rules are stricter compared to federal laws. If your emotional support pet is imported for commercial or resale, then these have additional requirements under the USDA. 

Some Important Questions 

Consider some essential questions when traveling with your dog to the United States. First, where is your dog coming from? CDC is focused on the importation of dog rabies coming from high-risk countries. Dogs from these countries will require a rabies vaccination certificate while dogs from a low-risk or have no known rabies risk (countries free from rabies) do not need a rabies vaccination certificate.

What is a rabies vaccination certificate? This is a valid proof that the dog has been vaccinated and is fully immunized. Please take note that it takes 28 days for the vaccine to fully protect your dog. And just like your passport, this rabies certificate must not expire during your vacation. You should make sure this document is current for the duration of your stay. 

What countries are at high risk for rabies? Contact the CDC or visit the CDC website for updated information about high-risk countries for rabies. Any dogs coming from these places should have a valid certificate before they can enter the US. 

Read Me